Sega has officially announced Team Sonic Racing after Walmart leaks yet another game.
Team Sonic Racing is the next installment in Sega’s racing games based around their mascot character, with previous titles being Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing, and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. The new title is being developed by SUMO Digital, the same developers of the previous titles that garnered high praise, notably with Transformed getting ‘overwhelmingly positive’ reviews on Steam.
- Akin to Mario Kart Double Dash, players will be able to race in teams, featuring team moves and a Team Ultimate attack.
- The new installment will have 15 characters that span across the Sonic universe. That is contrary to the other games that had characters from many other Sega franchises.
- The game will focus on 3 main archetypes for the racers to be based around, such as Speed, Technique, and Power.
- The game will see the return of items, giving “14 offensive and defensive” items for players to use.
- Team Sonic Racing will incorporate some amount of customization, letting players change their appearance and the handling of their vehicle.
- One of the more notable additions is the Adventure Mode, that promises to offer a “unique story experience” that will also teach players the basics to the game, and introduce players to the characters.
- The last and also one of the more notable features is Online and Local Multiplayer. The online player count will go up to 12 players while split screen will support up to 4 players. Game modes such as Grand Prix Mode, Exhibition Mode, Team Adventure Mode, and Time-Trial will be supported in the multiplayer.
Walmart took down the leak shortly after posting it, nonetheless, Sega made the official announcement a short time after by releasing the debut Team Sonic Racing trailer. Even though Walmart took down the posting, the game can now be found on Steam with both the trailer and store page stating a release for this coming Winter. Whether that means Holiday time 2018 or early 2019 is unclear.
The trailer also shows the game will be released on Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Steam, and that Pre Orders are available now. EB Games in Canada already have posting for PS4, Xbox One, and Switch, available at $54.99 CAD.